Mini Retirement Phase I:
My time over the last 6 weeks has been spent relaxing, visiting friends and family, and helping my mom and dad with their big summer projects. I spent a weekend with the Overgaag side of the family at the cabin in the Big Horn Mountains wishing Gramps a happy 93rd, followed by a few weeks of hiking, camping, riding horses, helping stain the house, stain the barn, stain the deck, etc. Granted painting is not my favorite activity but I did get buff arms and realized how much I have missed working outside. Finally it was time for the grand farewell tour which consisted of visiting friends in Sacramento and San Francisco, a week of intoxication in Cabo followed by a week of detox and unlimited baked goods with Grandi in Montana.
These final few days in the US have been focused on finalizing all of my travel plans, packing multiple times to make sure I haven't forgotten anything, loving my kitties and of course assuring my parents that, yes, everything is going to be OK!
Phase II:
Wednesday is the big day! Phase II is the European Tour phase of the Mini Retirement. It starts with a grand tour of Sweden with Sarah K, Denise and Erik. From there I'll explore Northern Europe and head south as the weather turns rainy and cold.
Over the last few months I've heard tons of stories and suggestions about places that I should visit and people I should contact. If you could do me a favor and email me these 'must see' places and contact info of people with surf worthy couches I'd really appreciate it! I definitely want to see the best places out there and will rely on everyone's suggestions to make sure I don't miss a hidden treasure.
Phase III:
Off to Africa!! January 5 I fly from London to Zambia. Volunteer visa-check, $400 worth of immunizations and prescriptions-check, arrangements to ship and pick up extra suitcase in London-check, 2009 taxes all prepped-check...I'm ready! I'll be arriving at the capital, Lusaka, and greeted by people from the church. My time there will start with a grand tour of Zambia including a trip to Victoria Falls before I'm taken to my final destination. I'll be working at the Mpelembe Secondary School in Kitwe, which is in the Copperbelt region. Archbishop Joseph has arranged for me to live with a host family the first few weeks before I'm given an apartment in the school's faculty housing. It sounds like I'm going to be given a few option
I'm very excited to learn the Zambian culture, make some friends, learn to cook nashima (look it up:), and hopefully feel like I'm making a difference in the world. Naturally I'm a bit nervous but am convinced that this is going to be a life changing experience. I can't wait!!!
Don't worry Mom, I'm going to be just fine :)
I admire your courage, Jen. Best of luck and I hope you have the time of your life.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your experience with us, Jen! You are going to have the time of your life! How long will your travels last? I wish you all the best. Be careful out there!
ReplyDeleteChris Meersman
I am so very happy for you. I love your pictures. I have not riden a horse since I was about 5 years old.
ReplyDeleteI am sure you will have a great experience and I envy you. Please post lots of pictures!!!