Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Random thoughts

I have officially overextended my legal stay in the EU. 93 days...lets hope that they dont all of a sudden start checking passport stamps! After 93 days I have learned to love some of the "Europeanisms", but have definitely not learned to love other things. In fact there's certain things I'm really sick of. I'll go ahead and blame it on travel fatigue but here's my rant.

Things I'm really sick of.
-Hoovering over toilets. Seriously, is it that hard to put a toilet seat on there?
-Paying for plastic bags at the grocery store.
-When the holder for the removable shower head is broken so you have to hold the shower head. Try shaving with that!
-I have come to realise why none of the European women shave. 1. because the showers are freaking tiny and its impossible unless you are incredibly flexible. 2. When the shower head is broken and you have to hold the water, lather, shave, balance, concentrate on not shooting the water out into the rest of the bathroom because most likely there is not a shower curtain, all in a tiny space...ridiculous. Lets just say I'm not as smooth and shiny as I used to be.
-Paying to use the toilet. At least if I have paid 1 Euro for the toilet they could at least have some TP available.
-Construction, is everywhere. Nothing can ruin a beautiful picture more than a giant crane and scaffolding. Especially if you've hiked a long way to see the view/castle/ruins/etc.
-Everything is very old. Therefore, everything is very broken. Beautiful, but broken.
-Standing up to have your espresso/cappuccino/sandwich. In Spain you eat and drink everything at the bar, just the way it works (then throw your trash on the ground, gross). In Italy it often costs more than double to sit down at a table so I've given in and started standing at the bar with the locals. So much for a relaxing coffee break to rest your feet!
-Being woken up several times a night by your neighbors. I've been sleeping with earplugs for the last 2.5 months which is surprisingly easy to get used to but I'd still love to fall asleep earplug free.
-UHT milk. Its gone through some heating and processing so that it doesn't need refrigeration and has a shelf life of 6-9 months. It tastes gross. Fresh milk is very expensive so UHT is all I've been drinking. Not a fan.
-Defending America and the American way of life. Several occasions I've been tempted to pass myself off as Canadian so I can avoid the conversation but I just can't bring myself to do it. Its amazing how much people have a bad perception of America or are just angry toward us in general. Most of it is based on inaccurate or skewed information so I've made it my personal mission to inform them. I hope I have all my facts straight :)

Things that I love:
-Everyday is Saturday. I wake up and have the whole day for adventure with no real responsibility whatsoever. Every few days I do have to pack and catch a train but thats all part of the adventure!
-Sleeping in! Every day! It is so great.
-Showing up somewhere, having no idea where you are, no map, at times none of the local currency, don't speak a lick of the language, yet somehow you find a place to sleep that night. It was a bit scary at first but now its just a rush.
-Trying all the local food, beer, and wine. So what if my jeans are tight, when else will I get to try the speciality pastry of Naples (sfogliatelle, rocked my world).
-Experiencing a great moment. Like when you randomly meet a local and have a great conversation, or happen to be in the right place at the right time for a phenomenal sunset.
-How you can show up to a city that you know nothing about, and after a few days it is "home". I have frequently been asked for directions (very surprising since I don't look anything close to local) and I love the feeling when I know where it is, how to get there, how to validate the ticket, etc. Especially neat when I can answer in the local language...meaning Spain.
-Randomly finding these little gems hidden within the city. I love it when I stumble onto a really cool flea market or find an awesome hole in the wall restaurant that is packed with locals. Or stumble into the Wednesday afternoon party in the plaza. Those are fun moments.
-Constantly forcing myself out of my comfort zone. Do I want to go into that packed bar and make an ass of myself ordering food that I have no idea what it is or even how to eat it...no. Is it totally worthwhile when you walk out...yes. Do I want to strike up a conversation with someone on the train next to me when most likely they dont speak English...no. Have I met some really cool peole doing that...yes. Dont worry mom, I still don't walk down shady looking streets, a little too far out of the comfort zone.
-When I experience something so out of the ordinary that it reminds me where I am and how fortunate I am to have had that experience. For instance, the other day someone stopped me in the middle of this really busy street in Naples (no one pays attention to cross walks or signs there, you just have to go or you'll never get across the street) and they asked me where was a supermarket. Somehow between dodging oncoming scooters, ignoring the honking, and not getting mugged I understood their question, answered them in Spanish, we had a chat, they told me I have a nice accent, and then I safely made my way across the street. I don't know anywhere else that would happen in the world!
-Putting all of these little experiences in my pocket and knowing that I have a better understanding of other people, cultures, and of myself.

Things that the US could learn from Europe:
-recycling. They are experts over here, just a routine in their life. I would almost call them overboard but then I realize that we're just really slacking.
-Charging you for plastic bags at the grocery store. I know I just said I hate it, but you sure do look for other ways to get those groceries home when you're charged 10 cents per bag. Very enviro friendly.
-Public transportation. I know that certain places in the US have mastered this but it is absolutely amazing here. Until last week I hadn't been in a car for 3 month and have had zero problems getting to where I needed to go.
-Cooking with real butter and real cream. Yes it does taste that much better. And yes you do get full quicker so you eat less. You think these Italian women stay skinny eating salads and fat free ranch? I've decided that the way to go is natural/non processed products and portion control!
-I won't even go into Government, remind me and we can chat about it over drinks if you're really interested.
-Round abouts. They are very efficient. Make you very sick when you are in a bus that practically lifts off two wheels when going around them but they are very efficient.

Things Europe could learn from the US:
-Shops staying open later and on weekends, namely markets. I know they have a good argument about quality of life, those people don't have to work late, etc. But man does it suck to show up somewhere on a sat afternoon and have no way to buy groceries for a day and a half.
-Large cups of coffee or tea to go. I would kill to walk the streets of Florence with a huge hot tea in my hands. Doesn't happen unless you pay an arm and a leg for a Starbucks.
-Proper insulation to keep out not only the cold but also the noise. I had always wondered what Italians do at home in the evening. Now I know, I heard the neighbors.
-Customer service. I now have a very deep appreciation for our culture of customer service. It is fabulous.

Thats it, rant is over. Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time, this was really fun to read, it is amazing how much you learn when your immersed in another culture. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete